Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Garden Update!

Pictures will follow soon, but I wanted to post an update without them.  I planted broccoli out in the garden over the weekend, but unfortunately it was not mine.  I wound up having to buy 12 plants, as mind were total duds.  I'm not sure why they did not grow well, because everything else did, but I guess I'll try again in late summer to see if I can get a fall crop from my own plants.  I also have several pea plants growing well, and I planted additional seeds where nothing had grown, as well as some lettuce.  This is all in a fenced in area to keep the bunnies out.  The raspberries (black and red) are looking excellent, and there are lots of flowers on my strawberries.  Both areas are in need of some serious weeding, though.  And the garlic is looking SPECTACULAR.  I should wind up with nearly 50 bulbs of garlic. This should be ready to harvest in a month or so.  I can't wait!

The tomato plants are looking GREAT, and are clearly eager to get into the garden. They range in size pretty widely from over a foot to 6ish inches, and I think they may be getting a little "sun burnt" being too close to the window, so I plan to move my table back tonight (although there's no sun predicted in the forecast until the weekend anyway. blah.).  I was able to salvage 11 tomato seedlings that I "thinned" from their original pots, and I re-planted them last night.  This more than makes up for the few that failed to grow!

The peppers are also doing well, with the hot peppers out-pacing the sweet varieties.  My husbands "mucho nacho" jalapenos are 4-6 inches tall at this point and looking great.  Most of the other peppers are in the 2-4 inch range.  I fertilized everything with an organic garden fertilizer last night, so I'm hoping for a nice growth spurt between now and my planned "plant out" date of around 5/28.  It's so close I can almost taste it!

No comments:

Post a Comment